Meeting the Needs of Every Learner
Homework begins in Kindergarten with a weekly packet of practice work and includes the practicing of sight words. First and Second Graders have up to 20 minutes of nightly homework. Third and Fourth Graders have 30 to 40 minutes a night. Fifth and Sixth Graders have up to 60 minutes and 7th and 8th Graders have up to 90 minutes a night. Every student should be reading at least 15 minutes every evening.
In order to build a lifelong love of reading, students in Fourth through Eight Grade take part in the Accelerated Reading Program. This tracks a student’s extra curricular reading and helps to build fluency and comprehension skills.
Primary students benefit most from completing their homework at home with parent oversight. There are tutorial sessions in the 4th through 8th grade classrooms on Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday afternoons from 2:50 to 3:20. Students can obtain extra help from their teachers or just sit quietly to complete homework.
St. Rose employs a highly qualified resource teacher and two assistants who provided extra support and challenge for students who need it. There are also speech and language services available.
- Fully accredited by WASC/WCEA
- Experienced, credentialed teachers trained in differentiation techniques
- Commitment to the whole child – academic, spiritual, emotional, social and physical development
- Teacher to student ratio of 1:16
- Teacher aides in K – 6th Grade
- Full time school counselor
- Math, Science & Resource Specialists
- Spanish,Music & PE instruction by specialized teachers
- Classrooms equipped with state of the art interactive whiteboards, document cameras and sound systems.
- Well-appointed gym
- Science lab
- Hot lunch five days a week